Friday, March 8
Upcoming Clubs and Activities Events
- Girls basketball awards banquet will be Tuesday, March 12th at Jupiter’s starting at 6:30pm. Please bring all uniforms, practice jerseys, and backpacks to be turned in.
- Did you miss the Black Culture Club's Talent last month? No worries Take 2 of the show is tonight at 6:00 pm. Students must have their school ID to enter.
- This year’s Vice Versa Dance will be held on Saturday from 7:00-10:00 pm at the Refinery. Tickets will be on sale after school today and during 4th & 5th hour lunches today. Tickets are $5.00 and you must be cleared from social probation to attend. Date forms are available in the Junior-Senior Center.
- Champaign-Urbana Public Health District Child & Teen Dental Clinic will be at Centennial on March 26-28. Please complete the consent form that was emailed to parents and return to school by Monday, March 25. If you are unable to download the form that was emailed, your child can pick up one in the main office.
- It’s time once again for “Who Said That?” Thursday’s quote was: “We must tell girls their voices are important.”
The winner is Katie Koker. She had the correct answer which was C) Malala Yousafzai (Malālah Yūsafzay).Who is Malala Yousafzai (Malālah Yūsafzay) is a Pakistani activist for female education and the youngest Nobel Prize laureate at age 17. She is known for human rights advocacy, especially the education of women and children in her native Swat Valley in northwest Pakistan, where the local Taliban had at times banned girls from attending school. Her advocacy has grown into an international movement, and she has become "the most prominent citizen" of the country.On October 9, 2012, while on a bus in the Swat District, Yousafzai and two other girls were shot by a Taliban gunman in an assassination attempt in retaliation for her activism; the gunman fled the scene. Yousafzai was hit in the head with a bullet and remained unconscious and in critical condition. Her condition later improved. The attempt on her life sparked an international outpouring of support for Yousafzai. In January 2013, Yousafzai became "the most famous teenager in the world".Here is your quote for Friday, March 8th. Remember to submit your answer to the Library by the end of the day today. Who said: “Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another steppingstone to greatness.” Is the correct answer……A) Hillary Clinton? B) Oprah Winfrey? Or C) Maya Angelou?
College and Career Event:
The following institutions will be visiting Centennial next week. Please note that all students can attend a college visit, and must sign up at least the school day before to attend. Students must have permission from the teacher whose class they will be missing, as well as their parent/guardians to attend, and will be responsible for any missing work. Students can sign up for visits on Naviance, or can talk to Mr. Chun at the College and Career Center.
Friday, March 8th
3rd hour – Marines
Monday, March 11th
2nd hour- U of I Parkland Pathway
Wednesday, March 13th
1st hour: University of Illinois at Springfield
2nd hour: St. Ambrose University
4th hour: Mac Murray University
ISAC is an Illinois agency that helps students with their College and Career needs. Our representative gave me a list of presentations she can do for your classes, so please take a look and let me know if you are interested in her coming out to your class!
Graduating seniors, consider applying for one of three $500 PTSA scholarships being awarded this year. Two will be awarded on a “need” basis and one will be merit based. Applicants must maintain a “B” average or better and be enrolling in an accredited 2 or 4 year college or university in the summer or fall. Applications can be found on Career Cruising or Naviance, and please turn the applications to the Junior/Senior Center by Monday, March 25th.
To view athletic events, Please use the "Calendar" link on Centennial's homepage